Wednesday, December 28, 2011

PARIS - Getting Lost 1.4

28 November, 2011-Monday
Paris, France
Second full day in France


The hippo last night was out first decent meal since we left London, for me though, longer than that. At this point the task of trying to stay awake during the day and trying to stay asleep in the morning is beginning to take its toll.

I woke up a little bit earlier to take a walk down the street for a quick cafe creme and a visit to Le poste for stamps. I had observed the typical roaring in Clichy. The kids walling by themselves to school, as young as 4 years old. The proletariat having their morning coffee at the bistros. In France,for the most part, your barista for coffee is also your bartender for your alcohol.

Breakfast again at the hotel to get ready for our Montmarte visit. The bus took us in city to the north of Paris where the soucre couer church is. Along the way you will see the famous Moulan Rouge and a lot of sex shops along the way. The walk to Montmarte was faIrly quick.

When we got there, I was introduced to something that I will be seeing a lot around Europe. In this particular case, a man from northern Africa or somewhere in the Mediterranean walked up to me and offered to make me a bracelet. When I asked how much, he said it was free. His insistence allowed him to start wrapping the threads around my fingers... At this point I was tied to it, literally. As soon as he was done, and I started walking away, he started asking for money... I took out the coins I have and started giving him 1 euro. At this point he started asking for ten. Thats when I started walking away. Tip for the weary: just start walking away. Just say sorry and no.

The cathedral was very grand. And amazing sight. The view from its steps though was much more grand. If it weren't only for thE bad weather, the city view as I can imagine would have been amazing.

After debating what to do next, we all proceeded to the market below the Soucre Ceour and started buying gifts to take home. Shopping was a sin you don't want to always indulge on when traveling.

It was decided that we will jn the bus on the way back to the Sein. From there, make our way to the louvre. Honestly... On the map it looked quite close. It wasn't.

We were able to walk past the Alexander bridge, the grand palaise, the petit palaise, the place de la Concorde, the jardan de Tuilerie and into the entrance to the Louvre. As soon as we all regrouped inside the louvre we took a direct route to see the Mona Lisa. Mission accomplished. Now, we are hungry.

There was no avoiding getting lost in that museum. We did, later on after passing thru Etruscan antiquities towards the French painters wing we got message from Ross that he was at notre dame. So, off to notre dame we went.

Getting all touristy in notre dame was the only choice. I did know though that I needed to get to Shakespeare and company from there to procure a promised gift.

Later that night we all congregated at the champs élysées for the christmas market for some sausages and drinks. Vin Chaude was the odd favorite. Just like German warm beer. I just got contented with my hot chocolate.

A few things at this point:

- my feet started to hurt because the thick socks eventually contributed to blood flow constriction. (note to self: comfy shoes, always...)

- I've gotten Ross into the mission of mailing out post cards from the Eiffel so it would have that special stamp.

We got home and slept soundly that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment