Wednesday, December 28, 2011

PARIS - Getting lost 1.2



Day 1
25 November, 2011
London Saint Pancras to Paris Nord

Arrived in Paris Nord via the euro star.

The density of civilization gave away the clues to getting close to Paris. From the train station we took a bus to our hotel. Michele, our guide was quite embarrassed when our first 30 minutes was spent in traffic. She said that arriving during rush hour was a great introduction to the real Paris.

Check in was quick. I insisted that i needed to shower first before heading out. At this point I've been up around 48 hours. We all met downstairs to proceed to the champs élysées. I had to peel off from the group to pick up my Paris pass from the hard rock cafe. As I emerged from the Metro station, I smiled and thought t myself that I was really in Paris. The scape was similar to the New York, San Francisco and Chicago. But it was in French, it was cosmopolitan. People dressed well walked by beggars, the miserables. I practiced my first French phrase at the hard rock... "excuse moi, vous parlez anglais?" this allowed me to procure my Paris pass.

I took the metro again to get to the Franklin Roosevelt station along the champs élysées. From the stop, through the thousands who were there I started looking for my friends.

I found them. I did! Near the arc de triomphe. They were there with tripods and cameras. I really wanted to go up the arc. But maybe next time. We then proceeded to get to see the tower. The metro took us to the trocadero station. As soon as we emerged from underground, we were given the poplar view of the tower. It was grand. A sight to see. I had lost my companions while we were taking photos. They went to meet chuck at the tower. From there I decided to head back on my own to the hotel to catch a well need rest. Called it a night.

NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment